We finished our animation short on time and I’m pretty happy with my contribution. In an ideal world I would have liked more time to work on the lighting as it ended up having to be changed last minute as the middle section of the animation wasn’t ready to be lit. My director asked me to lend my beginning and end lighting together for the centre but this meant the fox isn’t lit correctly and neither are the houses he’s bouncing in front of. It also meant that my beginning lighting changed a great deal and was suddenly a lot lighter than anticipated and I could no longer use a ramp to desaturated the skydome texture. But I do feel that the brighter version blended into the rest of the animation better that way and our piece is so fast paced that the transition from dark to bright would have perhaps been too much.
Here are a couple of examples for my ending lighting and rendering:
I really love how they look. I’ll include further breakdowns in the next post. So we made a bump which is a little animation intended for specific channels to fit in between tv shows and adverts. Our target audience are children of around 8-10 years old and this would fit between their shows and the ad breaks. Here’s a link to our bump:
This is our cute main character Poppy. She has made me fall in love with stylised character design.
There were many challenges making her such as hair solutions and how to make her skirt but I’ve overcome them and learnt a lot through this process.
Here is my giraffe model and texture for my group project at uni. The initial design is by my friend Ruby-May.
It was honestly so much fun modelling and painting this giraffe with its lovely colourful design.
The fox was textured and designed by Ruby-May and modeled and uved by me. I need to make a displacement for it too so that it has fur.
Wow making this blog post makes me realize how much this character has changed from my original concept! So this was how I originally wanted him to look. Kinda a pretty boy really. His face, hair and clothes have completely altered. I do think the version further down this page is better in some respects though. I think I was going for a plainer looking guy eventually. I didn’t like the look of the vest when I sculpted it either. A jacket seemed harder and so more fun.
This was the character initially but after this the face changed a whole lot.
Here’s the original base meshes for the clothes before I revamped him.
Here he has fibremesh eyebrows, eyelashes and sideburns. He’s going to be game res so these were just placeholders because I don’t like looking at my characters bald.
Even though his body will never be seen now he still does have one.
I added a zip with the insert mesh brush
I made my bag after being inspired by Naughty Dogs Last of Us bags
Update on the face with pores, lines and eyebrows
We’re meant to eventually caricature ourselves…that’ll be fun :/
I enrolled on a cgworkshop run by Katon Calloway from Sony Santa Monica. I really enjoyed it and would recommend it to anyone. It’s a game character modelling course. She was made a while back and remains unfinished. I learnt a lot of techniques on this course and through it I now use xnormal and various techniques he used during the course. The beads were a pain to make as back then curves and insert mesh brushes weren’t available so I had to position each separately. If I were to do it now it would be really easy. All I would need to do is create a simple mesh to wrap around the wrists where the beads should go and make an insert mesh brush with all the meshes I require in them. I love the new features in Zbrush 4r6.
This character was based on a Guild Wars Elementalist (I think). She’s a pretty cool character and I’m mostly happy with it.
Looking back at this model I would lengthen the legs and make her a tad more graceful.
I good method for creating simple tattoos in Zbrush is to draw them as a mask within a layer and then you can paint within them.
I did get as far as retopology on the character which was full of issues but considering I’d never used Zbrush until I started this course and I was working full-time I feel I handled it all rather well.
I used decimation master as a starter for retopologizing the shoulder piece. Now it might be easier to use zrememsher but I do feel decimation master still has a place.
Above is the beginning of her face sculpt minus ears, clearly. The face doesn’t quite match up to my orthos yet but I kinda like it tbh. Sometimes my work looks better and develops further during the 3d process rather than via 2d.
I then made various pieces of clothing for her. I really enjoyed making her boots. They’re made of various pieces.
This was of course my favourite assignment and was one of the earliest. I loved it! I also got my best mark here which was 92 out of 100. Basically, we had to find reference images online of a character from animations, cartoons or comic books. We had a poly count limitation which I kept to really well. I originally wanted to model rogue from X-men as I think she’s a great character but I couldn’t find orthographic drawings of a version I liked. Instead I went with Big Barda from DC comics. She’s a pretty cool character in that she’s super strong and really tall. As with all comic book characters there were many versions of her drawn by different artists but I decided to go with a version from the cartoon DC Animated Universe. I’m merely showing screenshots rather than full renders as it wasn’t necessary for the assignment. I did make a very guerilla style rig to push her into a pose I found from other reference that I liked too. I basically didn’t mind which I was marked on and did this merely because I wanted to.